Solving Math Word Problems: Teaching Students
Out of stock
Asha K. Jitendra Learning Disabilities Using Schema-Based Instruction
Out of stock
Note : Image shown for reference purposes only. Actual product appearance may vary. Please read product description for full and accurate details
Solving Math Word Problems is a detailed-scripted program using Schema-Based Instruction (SBI), designed as a framework for instructional implementation. It is primarily for school practitioners (e.g., special and general education teachers, school psychologists, etc.) teaching critical word problem solving skills to students with disabilities, grades 1-8.
Solving Math Word Problems is organized into two categories:
- Solving addition and subtraction problems
- Solving multiplication and division problems
Each category is then divided into units and lessons. Each unit introduces one of four problem types (i.e., Change, Group, Compare or Multiplicative Compare, and Vary) and subsequent lessons within each unit focus on solutions for that particular problem type. Lessons are 30 to 60 minutes in length, and can be administered to individuals, small groups, or large groups, in various settings (e.g., Title I programs, special education programs, general education, etc.).
Students are taught to problem solve in a four-step strategy, FOPS (Find the problem type; Organize the information in the problem using the diagram; Plan to solve the problem; Solve the problem). Program effectiveness is judged on teacher s instruction skills, teacher involvement, teacher facilitation, student participation, and frequent progress evaluations.
The program includes:
- Teacher-scripted procedures
- Visual Diagrams
- Checklists of Materials
- Overhead Modeling
- Reference Guides
- Answer Sheets
- Student Pages
- Tasks are based on word problems, formatted as text, graphs, tables, and pictographs.
- Program instructions address both conceptual and procedural knowledge.
- Provides adequate practice and mixed reviews of problem types.
- Includes progress-assessment measures to monitor student s performance.
- Aligns with national standards of problem solving, communicating, connecting, reasoning, and representing word problems.
Complete Kit Includes: Instruction Book and CD-ROM
283 pages softcover 7 x 10 spiral 2007
Write Your Own Review